[Rd] AddComment (gram.y)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 19 23:25:55 CEST 2008

    DM> Peter Danenberg wrote:

      >>> The source references achieve something similar.
      >>>
    > Thanks, Duncan; it seems like SkipComment cannibalizes
    >> comments before they get to srcref, though.
    >>
    >> I had to go back as far as 1999, actually, to find a
    >> version of gram.y that implemented AddComment; would
    >> anyone object to bringing it back?
    >>
    DM> Yes, I would.

and so would probably almost everyone in R-core.
We *did* think already back in the last millennium...
and removed them for a good reason
{IIRC, because there were always cases where they were attached
 to the wrong expression, and we were more or less convinced,
 there was no to do it "right" in all cases}.

Martin Maechler