[Rd] Java->R functions (or possibly C++ -> R)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 20 16:19:07 CEST 2008

On 20 April 2008 at 09:22, esmail bonakdarian wrote:
| I am trying to implement a simple Genetic Algorithm using some of the
| functions of R (such as lm). I am a total newbie with regard to R, but
| not programming or GAs.

Genetic algorithms / evolutionary computing _are_ already available via CRAN,
see eg rgenoud and DEoptim.  Wrapping existing ones is also fairly easy; I am
sometimes use PGAPack from R at work (using non-released code).

As for Jave, as I understand it, rjava is _the_ common interface.

I prefer C++ and use RCpp (now on r-forge.r-project.org) and there are
parallel discussions going on regarding Swig.

| PS:Does anyone know how to do an effective search for R in google (or
|    other search engines). The fact that this is a single letters seems

i)  Use the dedicated front-ends to searching as eg RSiteSearch("foo") from
    within R, or

ii) combine your search terms with terms like 'r-help' or 'r-devel'

| PPS: I there a USENET group dedicated to R?

There are several lists/usenet gateways like eg gmane. See the R FAQ/

Dirk