[Rd] package building problem under Windows Vista

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 20 23:00:00 CEST 2008

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 20/04/2008 1:21 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>> There is no evidence whatsoever of 'some general problem', and it is quite
>> specific to that package.  We've tested all the CRAN and BioC packages with
>> vignettes, and accounted for all the errors.

>>> tradeCosts has its own pdf(), which is an S4 generic.  Once you have
>>> attached that package, the regular pdf() device driver is hidden.  So it
>>> looks as though running Sweave from the R console does the search in the
>>> intended way, but running it from R CMD Sweave finds the tradeCosts
>>> version of pdf() instead of the standard one.
>>
>> Sweave does call grDevices::pdf explicitly.  But that's not the issue as
>>
>> R --slave < tradeCosts-article.R
>>
>> also fails at
>>
>> Calls: plot ... barplot -> barplot.default -> par -> pdf -> <Anonymous>
>>
>> So the issue is that pdf() is getting called because no device has been
>> opened, and "pdf" is the default device.  That seems quite reasonable to
>> me: if you create a function "pdf" high on the path it indicates that you
>> want that to be the default device.  (And the default device is used.)
>
> I think there may be another problem.  Running R on the Stangle output is
> different than running Sweave, because Sweave knows that certain chunks have
> fig=TRUE, and so it should set up the graphics device for them.  I don't
> think there's a chunk in that file that does graphics without declaring
> fig=TRUE, so the original Sweave run should succeed, even if the run above
> fails.
>
> So I still don't understand why in chunk 17 "pdf" is being used instead of
> "grDevices::pdf".

That's equally true of the example used in example(Sweave), and that puts
up a graphics device, just as this one does.

fig=TRUE asks for *additional* runs with devices set -- see the code in
makeRweaveLatexCodeRunner.  If options$eval is true

                 if(options$eval) err <- evalFunc(ce, options)

is run (and if it isn't options$eps and options$pdf are not reached).
Or look at ?RweaveLatex which says

      eval: logical ('TRUE'). If 'FALSE', the code chunk is not
           evaluated, and hence no text or graphical output produced.

Try

options(device="pdf")
example(Sweave)

and see what gets generated.

Or (as I had done), put options(device=grDevice::pdf) in the first chunk
of the tradeCosts example, and see what gets plotted in Rplots.pdf.

[...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk