[Rd] plot(x) in 2.7.0 (with y=NULL) proposed code correction

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 22 19:45:01 CEST 2008

On 4/22/2008 1:37 PM, Sklyar, Oleg (MI London) wrote:
> To Martin:
>
> sorry, you are right, my fault. Your SVN fix for axisLocal seems to
> solve the problems for numerics.
> However, the problem remains for POSIXct:
>
> plot(Sys.time()+runif(100,1,7200))
>
> (for me it plots time on y correctly, but labeling of index x axis and
> xlab="Index" are wrong/missing). I would assume that there is therefore
> a problem in the current plot.POSIXct function.
>
> In fact, if one simply sets: plot.POSIXct = plot.default the result IS
> correct! This is probably because POSIXct is numeric internally and axis
> handling is performed correctly by your fix, i.e. strictly there is no
> need for plot.POSIXct. For plot.POSIXlt, one could simply convert x into
> POSIXct and call the default.
>
> I do not think there will be many more "standard R" examples because the
> problem was about calling one of the Axis.* methods and those are
> defined for POSIX and Date classes only.
>
> To Duncan:
>
> I would be happy if I could test it before, I have recently started at
> the current position and even now cannot access the R SVN directly due
> to the company's internet connection policy.

We do have daily binary builds, you don't need svn access.  I don't know
if your company policy would allow you to download and install them, of
course.  But if your company policy is not to allow you to test software
that matters to the company, then you may have bigger problems than bad
axis labels.

Duncan Murdoch