[Rd] (PR#11231) [Solaris 9 segfault when closiing X11()]

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 00:10:14 CEST 2008

We need to know a great deal more information, and asking on R-devel would
be a lot kinder than blaming this on a bug in R (and please use a
meaningful subject line).

What version of R is this?

Precisely what OS (Solaris 9 comes for several architectures)?

Assuming you compiled R yourself, what compilers did you use? (And where
did you get those from if they are not Sun compilers?)  If got a
pre-compiled version, you need to try compiling on the machine you are
using.

Do you have a debugger for your compiler?  If so you can run R under the
debugger (possibly R -d gdb) and debug the crash for yourself. (We cannot
do this for you unless we can reproduce it.)

Given that Solaris 9 is long obsolete (Solaris 10 is more than 3 years'
old), we don't hear of many R users on it.  But we do hear from some using
it successfully.  And since R is in use on both Solaris 8 and 10, it is
unlikely to be a generic Solaris issue.

Given all our experience, the most likely explanation is a bug in the
software on your machine, e.g. in a compiler.  Please take this to your IT
support team and get them to identify the problem -- if they are able to
supply a patch to a current version of R that works around the problem it
would be a positive contribution to the R project.