[Rd] R-gui and chinese character

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 11:50:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Dieter Menne wrote:

> I had to test an R-application that works with Chinese character. Just for fun,
> I took one character from WikiPedia, pasted it into R-Gui, and pressed enter.
> Rgui smoothly closed down without saying anything else.
>
> I am aware, this is not serious....

Yes, nobody has said that you can paste in Unicode chars that are not
valid in your locale.  Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the MSVCRT
function used, and this ends up returning an empty string to the R engine,
which takes that as EOF.  On my machine, I can click on 'cancel'.

The relevant code was altered by our Japanese colleagues during alpha
testing to make things work for them.  We'll see if we can make it more
robust.

Thank you for the report, but it would have been *much* preferable to have
received it in the alpha/beta/RC period (and such reports are less likely
to be overlooked if sent to R-windows).