[Rd] RFC: What should ?foo do?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Apr 25 18:11:16 CEST 2008

hadley wickham wrote:
>>  It seems logical to me that such a resource be embedded up front in "Intro"
>> with it also being included within the existing help system and referenced
>> in the start up banner message.
>
> That would help if anyone actually read the startup banner.  The next
> time you're in front of an audience of people who have been using R
> for a couple of weeks, ask them how to cite R.
>
> Hadley

That might be supportive of having the startup banner be nothing more
than a version/copyright notice and then leave you at a '>" prompt.

I am open to the notion however, that some do read it, perhaps less so
over time as they just want to get to the prompt and effectively become
oblivious to the banner.

Of course, it ('citation()') is also referenced in the main R FAQ...

Marc