[Rd] RFC: What should ?foo do?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 20:47:37 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> For what it's worth, I use ?foo mostly to look up usage of functions
> that I know I want to use, and find it perfect for that (one benefit
> over help() is that completion works for ?). The only thing I miss is
> the ability to do the equivalent of help("foo", package = "bar");
> ?bar::foo gives the help page for "::". Perhaps that would be
> something to consider for addition.

That fits most naturally with the (somewhat technical) idea that bar::foo
becomes a symbol and not a function call.  I believe that several of think
that is in principle a better idea, but no one has as yet (AFAIK) explored
the ramifications.

However, 5 mins looking at the sources suggests that it is easy to do.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk