[Rd] r won't start: "r: symbol lookup error: r: undefined symbol: R_Visible" (PR#11265)

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sat Apr 26 00:30:41 CEST 2008

Le ven. 25 avr. à 07:09, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> On 24 April 2008 at 20:20, jakobstoeger at gmx.de wrote:
> | Full_Name: Jakob Stoeger
> | Version: 2.7.0
> | OS: ubuntu 7.10
> | Submission from: (NULL) (137.248.74.38)
> |

> | Hi!
> |
> | I hope, it is justified to write this email...
> | I'm relatively new to linux, and haven't worked with r, yet, so
> please pardon
> | any things I do not know...
> |
> | I tried installing r on my computer, and didn't manage to get the
> program
> | running.
> | After having installed littler, typing r into the bash results in
> following
> | message:
> |
> | r: symbol lookup error: r: undefined symbol: R_Visible
>
> You need to rebuild littler ('r') against the new version of R ('R').
>
> I did that for Debian, looks like Ubuntu could do with it too.  Your R
> version was provided by volunteers outside of Ubuntu.
>
> Vincent: In a perfect world, could you rebuild littler and provide it?

I'm not convinced this was the problem (probably more the case issue
raised by others), but heck, it was simple to build packages for
littler. On their way to CRAN now.

*However*, I won't commit to always maintain this package for Ubuntu.
Our general policy is to provide up-to-date binaries for the
Recommended packages only.

HTH   Vincent