[Rd] median methods

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 22:44:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Rob Hyndman wrote:

> Can we please have a ... argument in median() to make it possible to pass
> arguments to specific methods.

Not without a reasoned case -- see 'Writing R Extensions' as to why it is
a non-trivial change that affects all existing methods (and there are
some) -- also S4 setMethod("median") calls (which there are too).

There is also an argument as to where the ... should come -- probably

function (x, ..., na.rm = FALSE)

(but that could break some existing calls), and why should na.rm be on the
generic as well (it is not for mean nor quantile, for example)?

So there have to be some pretty compelling arguments in favour.

> Rob J Hyndman
> Professor of Statistics, Monash University
> Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Forecasting
> http://www.robhyndman.info/
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hmm, we do explicitly ask you not to do send that.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk