[Rd] OSX R GUI visual interface tweak (PR#11318)

nelson.ana at gmail.com nelson.ana at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:10:04 CEST 2008

Full_Name: Ana Nelson
Version: R 2.7.0 GUI 1.24 (5102)
OS: OSX 10.5.2
Submission from: (NULL) (213.94.201.89)

The R GUI close button has a solid circle. Screenshot is here:
http://skitch.com/ananelson/kmxj/r-console

On OSX this indicates that there are unsaved changes pending. Please see page
201 of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines (version 2008-03-11):

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/OSXHIGuidelines.pdf

However, I never save my workspace on exiting R, therefore I don't really have
unsaved changes, so the "X" close button would be more appropriate.

I know this might seem like a very fussy request, but I actually find it very
distracting to think I have unsaved changes in a document, and every time I
glance and see the solid circle I have to stop and think and remind myself that
I don't. Apple has me so well trained! (sigh) I think it's because when I see a
dot instead of an X, I anticipate that I will be faced with a "save as" dialog
box, which will interrupt my workflow and I will have to think about where to
save the file, what to call it etc.

Anyway, I would vote to get rid of the dot, perhaps just for those users who
have the "No" option selected for "save workspace on exit from R".