[Rd] R-Forge SVN repositories: R CMD build/check error on Windows machines

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 28 22:19:36 CEST 2008

On 28/04/2008 12:22 PM, Stefan Theussl wrote:
> Dear R-devel,
>
> One of our R-Forge developers pointed out that it is not possible to
> build packages under Windows using the R-Forge repository structure: a
> package resides in ./pkg - not in a directory with the same name as the
> package name.
>
> Under Linux 'R CMD build pkg' or 'R CMD check pkg' work pretty well (I
> think Kurt Hornik fixed that in R 2.5.1 or so) whereas under Windows one
> gets the following error (this is the example sent by the user):
>
> c:\work\packages\spdep>R CMD check pkg
> * checking for working pdflatex ... OK
> * using log directory 'C:/work/packages/spdep/pkg.Rcheck'
> * using R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22)
> * using session charset: ISO8859-1
> * checking for file 'pkg/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * this is package 'spdep' version '0.4-21'
> * package encoding: latin1
> * checking package name space information ... OK
> * checking package dependencies ... OK
> * checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
> Subdirectory 'pkg/src' contains object files.
> * checking whether package 'spdep' can be installed ... ERROR
> Installation failed.
> See 'C:/work/packages/spdep/pkg.Rcheck/00install.out' for details.
>
> which is:
>
> installing R.css in C:/work/packages/spdep/pkg.Rcheck
>

> ---------- Making package pkg ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
>   making DLL ...
>   ... DLL made
>   installing DLL
>   installing R files
>   installing inst files
>   installing data files
>   preparing package pkg for lazy loading
> Error in findpack(package, lib.loc) : *there is no package called 'pkg'*
> Calls: <Anonymous> -> findpack
> Execution halted
> make[2]: *** [lazyload] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-pkg] Error 2
> *** Installation of pkg failed ***
>
> I could verify this on our 'Windows package building machine' not only
> for this package but also for others.
> Therefore, it seems to me that the (Windows) R CMD build/check scripts
> are not considering the package name in the DESCRIPTION file but rather
> take the directory name as package name.
>
> Or are we just doing something completely wrong?

You're right, on Windows there's an assumption that package foo is in
directory foo.  But I don't see why this is a big problem.  Can't you
just check out pkg into foo, e.g.

svn co svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/foo/pkg foo

(Not that I'd be against accepting a patch to remove this restriction;
occasionally it might be nice to have two versions of the same package
side-by-side.)

Duncan Murdoch