[Rd] build packages with vignettes in Windows

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 30 23:02:41 CEST 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 4:29 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 4/30/2008 4:01 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> Sure, but the installer doesn't know how to do that.  It just
>>> sets  the path in the registry; it doesn't know how to give
>>> Explorer a  kick to get it to reload from there.  As far as I know
>>> there's no  documented way to do that.
>>>
>> FWIW the PATH setting is effective immediately (at least on 2k/
>> XP ...). Any new shell you start (e.g. using Run..) will have the
>> updated PATH already.
>
> Does that happen with the Rtools installer?  I didn't know that.  I
> thought explorer only changes the PATH at startup, or when you edit
> it from the control panel.

Hmm I thought it did, but a subsequent test shows it doesn't.
Apparently I must have triggered a change in the Control Panel so PATH
was updated even before reboot.

Anyway, there are free tools with source that show how to send a
broadcast message to make that change active immediately, e.g.:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/SetEnv.aspx?fid=230498&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=1531752&fr=48

BTW: By testing this I found out that the Rtools installer is not as
smart as it could be - when you run it a second time it will duplicate
the paths.

Cheers,
Simon