[Rd] 4-int indexing limit of R {Re: [R] allocMatrix limits}

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 09:07:03 CEST 2008

There are several issues here, and a good knowledge of the R Internals
manual seems a prerequisite (and, considering where this started, of the
relevant help pages!).

R uses its integer type for indexing vectors and arrays (which can be
indexed as vectors or via an appropriate number of indices).  So if we
allow more than 2^31-1 elements we need a way to index them in R.  One
idea would be to make R's integer type int64 on suitable platforms, but
that would have really extensive ramifications (in the R sources and in
packages).  Another idea (I think suggested by Luke Tierney) is to allow
double() indices which might be less disruptive.  Adding a new type would
be a very serious amount of work (speaking as someone who has done it).

Another issue is the use of Fortran for matrix algebra.  That is likely to
cause portability issues, and there's no point in doing it unless one has
an efficient implementation of e.g. BLAS/LAPACK, the reference
implementation being slow at even 100 million.  (That's probably not an
empty set, as I see ACML has a int64 BLAS.)

There are lots of portability issues -- e.g. the current save() format is
the same on all systems and we have complete interoperability.  (That
cannot be the case if we allow big vectors to be saved.)

But at present I don't see a significant number of applications any time
soon.  2 billion items in a homogenous group is a *lot* of data.  I know
there are applications with 2 billion items of data already, but is it
appropriate to store them in a single vector or matrix rather than say a
data frame or DBMS tables?  And will there 'ever' be more than a tiny
demand for such applications?  (I am excluding mainly-zero vectors, and
Martin has already pointed out that we have ways to deal with those.)

It is three or four years since we first discussed some of the options,
and at the time we thought it would be about five years before suitably
large machines became available to more than a handful of R users.  That
still seems about right: >=128GB systems (which is about what you need
for larger than 16GB objects) may start to become non-negligible in a year
or two.

R is a volunteer project with limited resources -- there are AFAIK less
than a handful of people with the knowledge of R internals to tackle these
issues.  Only if one of them has a need to work with larger datasets is
this likely to be worked on.