[Rd] axis() ignores supplied value of argument mgp[3]?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 11:53:50 CEST 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, J. R. M. Hosking wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> What is true is that the line is set before the inline setting of mgp is
>> processed: it all depends on what 'supplied' means, and you supplied two
>> values.
>>
>> This is changed in R-patched now.
>
> Thank you, that works.  Here is a perhaps related issue:
>
> R Help on 'axis' for argument 'line' says "The relative placing of
> tick marks and tick labels is unchanged".  But this appears not to be
> the case when graphics parameter mgp[3] is nonzero:
>
>  plot(1:4, yaxt="n")
>  par(mgp=c(3,2,1))
>  axis(2, 1:2)
>  axis(2, 3:4, line=1)
>
> which one (or, at least, I) would expect to place all the tick labels
> the same distance into the margin, does not in fact do so.

I don't think that is what it says. Setting 'line' or 'pos' temporarily
sets mgp[3] to zero (which is what the help implies in parts you did not
quote).

Otherwise 'line' would just duplicate mgp[3].

> My interpretation is that axis() is taking mgp[2] rather than the
> correct mgp[2]-mgp[3] as the relative position of the tick mark with

Why is it correct when you have been told 'mgp[3]' was overridden?
We could explicitly say it is treated as zero for ultimate clarity.