[Rd] Numerical optimisation and "non-feasible" regions

Mathieu Ribatet mathieu.ribatet at epfl.ch
Wed Aug 6 18:25:45 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I'm currently writing a C code to compute the (composite) likelihood -
well this is done but not really robust. The C code is wrapped in an R
one which call the optimizer routine - optim or nlm. However, the
fitting procedure is far from being robust as the parameter space
depends on the parameter - I have a covariance matrix that should be a
valid one for example.

Currently, I set in my header file something like #define MINF -1.0e120
and test if we are  in a non-feasible region, then setting the
log-composite likelihood to MINF. The problem I see with this approach
is that for a quite large non-feasible region, we have a kind of plateau
where the  log-composite likelihood  is constant and may have potential
issues with the optimizer. The other issue is that the gradient is now
badly estimated using finite-differences.

Consequently, I'm not sure this is the most relevant approach as it
seems that (especially the BFGS method, probably due to the estimation
of the gradient) the optimization is really sensitive to this "strategy"
and fails (quite often).

As I'm (really) not an expert in optimization problems, do you know good
ways to deal with non-feasible regions? Or do I need to reparametrize my
model so that all parameters belong to $\mathbb{R}$ - which should be
not so easy...

Thanks for your expertise!
Best,
Mathieu

--
Institute of Mathematics
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne