[Rd] wishlist: par(ann=FALSE) applied to hist?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 20:48:04 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Ben Bolker wrote:

> par(ann=FALSE) appears to have no effect on
> hist.default; it would be nice if it did ...
> (boxplot, which plots via bxp, which calls
> internal do_title, does -- in a quick search
> I can't figure out where the value of ann
> takes effect ...)

>From the ?par:

      'ann' If set to 'FALSE', high-level plotting functions calling
           'plot.default' do not annotate the plots they produce with
           axis titles and overall titles.  The default is to do
           annotation.

So strictly this is correct, as plot.histogram does not call plot.default.
The par is only used at R level, as a default for an argument in
plot.default and never as an in-line parameter.

So I think what you are asking for is a 'ann' argument to plot.histogram,
which would then be passed down from hist().  The only issue then is if
par("ann") should set the default, and the current documentation says not.

Does that meet your needs?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk