[Rd] messing with ...

Christos Hatzis christos.hatzis at nuverabio.com
Wed Aug 13 18:38:27 CEST 2008

If I understand it correctly, one way would be to define a function to
specify the default options/arguments in the required order.

For example,

> mle.options <- function(method = "BFGS", lower = 0, upper = Inf,
hessian=FALSE)
+ list(method=method, lower=lower, upper=upper, hessian=hessian)
> mle.options()
$method
[1] "BFGS"

$lower
[1] 0

$upper
[1] Inf

$hessian
[1] FALSE

And the user can specify only the parameters that need non-default values:

> mle.options(method="CG")
$method
[1] "CG"

$lower
[1] 0

$upper
[1] Inf

$hessian
[1] FALSE

A similar function can be defined for the control parameters of optim.
Then all you need in the mle wrapper is:

mle <- function(X, Y, optim.meth=mle.options(), optim.control=mle.control(),
...) {
	# preparatory steps

	optim(par, fn, method=optim.meth$method, lower=optim.meth$lower,
		upper=optim.meth$upper, hessian=optim.meth$hessian,
		control = optim.control(), ...)

	# more stuff
}

Hope this helps.