[Rd] extending the derivs table/fools rushing in

Ben Bolker bolker at zoology.ufl.edu
Fri Aug 15 15:50:17 CEST 2008

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> If they are on Windows installing Yacas is just a matter
> of issuing a single R command with no arguments.
> yacas grabs it from the net and installs it automaticaly
> without any further user interaction.  It also reminds you
> to give the command and tells you exactly what it is just
> after you issue:
>
> library(Ryacas)
>
> (You can also set up it up locally to include yacas right
> in the R distribution and originally we did it that way but
> had to remove it for CRAN.)
>
> Another thing you could do would be to copy the derivative
> code from R and put it in your own package and then
> you can make any enhancements you like without
> having to go through the R core.
>
> Regards.

   Hmmm.  Interesting but ...
  now I'm wondering (continuing masochism) how hard it would
actually be to implement the derivative rules in native R,
which might (?) make it much easier to include the derivative
rules as an extendable table.

  I may play with this some -- it's certainly re-inventing
the wheel to reimplement all of the stuff in deriv.c in native
R, but it might be worth it in the long run ...

   Ben