[Rd] Linking With External Lapack: Segfault

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 17:09:12 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Imanpreet wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>          I have been trying to figure out on linking R with an external
> lapack. Even though the R-admin recommends against doing so, our
> requirements force us to link it to an external lapack. I am running
> configure with the following parameter.
>
> *./configure --with-lapack="-L/usr/lib -llapack -lcblas" *
>

> The above seems to be having NO effect. However, later I tried replacing
> libRlapack, libblas and lapack.so from $(R_HOME)/lib and $(R_HOME)/modules/
> with external lapack. Firstly, is this good?

No, and the cause of your failure below.

Why do you think '-lcblas' is correct? Please do follow the manual -- if
you still have trouble when you do it is reasonable to ask for help, but
not otherwise.

> Secondly, after doing the above. When I do.
>
> When I do
>> example(svd)
>
> The following is the error that I am getting:
>
> *Error: segfault from C stack overflow*
>
> On debugging the error was in La_Init() at Line 61
>
> *if(!ptr->svd)*
>
> I am getting a SIGSEGV over here.
>
> Could anybody provide an pointers or and tips on how to link R with an
> external lapack? And also possibly the cause of the above issues?

Follow the manual -- its instructions do work (they are used on Mac OS X,
and will also work on Linux and Solaris).