[Rd] problem running dll in R

rcoder mpdotbook at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 02:44:38 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've created a dll for a fortran subroutine, and when I call the subroutine
in R (via a wrapped function) a standard program shutdown windows error
prompt immediately pops up: the program has encountered a problem and needs
to be shut down... send message / don't send message to MS... etc.

When I click "Don't send", the R consol does not then shut down, and appears
to continue to execute, and task manager does not indicate "not responding".
The problem is the execution takes too long, and I think the program is just
hanging rather than executing. I have tested with different fortran code,
and the same thing happens, so I don't think it is anything to do with that
side of things.

I created fortran code in a text editor, compiled using Plato3 IDE, then
converted the file into a dll using gFortran. I place the dll in the R
directory and it load in the console. The problem seems to occur when
defining the data types in R, for the variables in the fortran routine.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar when trying
to call fortran subroutines in R?

Thanks,

rcoder