[Rd] R CMD check problem

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 25 14:32:17 CEST 2008

On 22/08/2008 11:21 AM, Giles Hooker wrote:
> I have a query after finding an error running Rtools on a Windows machine.
>
> I am trying to build an update to the R fda library using Rtools27 under
> Windows XP Pro. This is the current fda library on RForge:
>
> http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/fda
>
> Following R CMD build,  R CMD check produces the following error in
> 00Install.out:
>
> installing R.css in F:/work/RForge/fda.Rcheck
>
> make: *** [Rcode0] Error 53
> make[2]: *** [zzzfirst] Error 53
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-fda] Error 2
> *** Installation of fda failed ***

I believe this says that some command involved in making the Rcode0
target returned error code 53.

> Removing 'F:/work/RForge/fda.Rcheck/fda'
>

> Any idea what the problem could be? Note the same procedure runs
> successfully on two other windows machines. For reference, the PATH
> environment variable is:
>
> C:\Program Files\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure
> Shell;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.7.1\bin
>
> The PATH System variable is:
>
> c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\perl\bin;c:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;C:\watcom-1.3\binnt;C:\watcom-1.3\binw;
> %GTK_BASEPATH%\bin;C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
> 2.5\miktex\bin;%systemroot%\system32;%systemroot%;%systemroot%\system32\wbem;c:\program
> files\ati technologies\ati control panel;C:\Program
> Files\MATLAB\R2006a\bin\win32;C:\Program Files\ggobi;C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.7.1\bin

If the first one is the active PATH, that's your problem:  someone has
overridden the default PATH, and the Rtools aren't on it.  (You see the
active PATH in the CMD shell by typing PATH at the command line.  It
should look like your system PATH, but with the %systemroot% etc macros
expanded.)

Duncan Murdoch