[Rd] Defining environments within functions

Giles Hooker gjh27 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 29 12:52:10 CEST 2008

Thanks,

I think I over-emphasized the secondary function, but I can generate the
scoping problem as follows. First, at the command line, I can get a
function to access objects that were not in its arguments by

ProfileEnv = new.env()
hello.world = "Hello World"
assign('hello.world',hello.world,3,envir=ProfileEnv)

fn1 = function()
{
	hw = get('hello.world',envir=ProfileEnv)
	print(hw)
}

and then call

 > fn1()
[1] "Hello World"

Now I want to define a wrapper function

fn2 = function()
{
	ProfileEnv = new.env()
	hello.world = "Hello World"
	assign('hello.world',hello.world,3,envir=ProfileEnv)

	fn1()
}

and if I try

 > rm(ProfileEnv)                          # Just to be safe
 > rm(hello.world)
 > fn2()
Error in get("hello.world", envir = ProfileEnv) :
   object "ProfileEnv" not found

In my actual code, fn1() is really a call to

optim(pars,ProfileErr,....)

and hello.world are quantities that were calculated the last time that
ProfileErr was called and that I want to keep track of.

As an alternative simple example, how would I keep a counter for the
number of times that optim (or any other generic optimizer) has called
ProfileErr?

giles

--
Giles Hooker
Assistant Professor:

Department of Biological Statistics and Computational Biology
Department of Statistical Science
1186 Comstock Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY, 14853