[Rd] Warning: missing text for item ... in \describe?

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 1 08:40:04 CET 2008

G'day Spencer,

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:31:54 -0800
Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at pdf.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
>       What might be the problem generating messages like "Warning:
> missing text for item ... in \describe" with "R CMD check" and "R CMD
> install"?
>
>       With the current version of "fda" on R-Forge, I get the
> following:
>

> Warning: missing text for item 'fd' in \describe
> Warning: missing text for item 'fdPar' in \describe

fRegress.Rd, which contains

\item{fd} { ...
\item{fdPar} {...

Apparently the space between the closing and the opening bracket leads
to some confusion; remove the space and the warning goes away.

I am not sure why an extra space here leads to problems, would be nicer
if it would not.  If it have to lead to a problem, then it would be
nice if the name of the .Rd files that produces the problem is actually
mentioned. :)

Don't ask me how I found this, let us just say that long live
find-grep-dired in emacs and perseverance (or should that be
stubbornness?)

HTH.

Cheers,

	Berwin

Berwin A Turlach                            Tel.: +65 6516 4416 (secr)
Dept of Statistics and Applied Probability        +65 6516 6650 (self)
Faculty of Science                          FAX : +65 6872 3919
National University of Singapore
6 Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Level 7          e-mail: statba at nus.edu.sg
Singapore 117546                    http://www.stat.nus.edu.sg/~statba