[Rd] unrelated software install triggering an error from R's install script on Mac OS X 10.5

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:38:21 CET 2008

Simon Urbanek wrote:

>>> Did you actually add
>>>    /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/
>>> to your PATH?  You're not supposed to do that!  What made you think so?
>>
>> Coming from an UNIX background, adding a directory like bin/ to the
>> PATH   does not appear unreasonable.
>>

> ... if you really want those files to prepend your PATH. You get what
> you deserve ;) I this case you don't want that and this is true for all
> unix platforms.

The point seems to be slightly missed here: the result of installing R
is that there is no R executable in the path, and that adding the only
bin/ directory coming with the install to be path results in a broken
system.

>>> This directory contains a range of support scripts for R which are
>>> not intended for direct use from the command line or other programs.
>>> In my installation, there's just a symlink from /usr/bin/R to the R
>>> binary in the directory above, which AFAIK is the only program you
>>> need to invoke directly.
>>
>> I am relatively new to OS X, so I cannot tell whether this is an R
>> specificity, or the way things are usually done on OS X are somewhat
>> very different from the UNIX way.
>
> Then you seem to be very unfamiliar with the unix way as it appears...

Ah ! the flourishing pronouncements on the R-lists...

>> I am surprised by this cherry pick one executable in bin/ / don't
>> touch the PATH.
>>

> You are apparently unaware of the way R is setup ... Note that on most
> unix systems this is exactly what you get - the R_HOME/bin directory is
> tucked away in /usr/local/lib/R/bin which is never on your PATH since R
> installs the user-visible scripts to /usr/local/bin. The same happens here.

I guess that we this comparing apples with oranges here:
a default R install is leaving binaries in the path when performing a
default install, which does not seem to be the case here (therefore
forcing a hunt for the executable for the R console and resulting in the
present thread).

The point here is that there is no user-exposed bin/ directory (or
copying of the "right" executables by default to a place commonly agreed
by some UNIX audiences as proper for binaries), and that the only bin/
found contains executables one should not get in his/her PATH.