[Rd] file.access() on network (mounted) drive on Windows Vista?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 1 21:03:00 CET 2008

Hi,

thank you very much for this information.  I now know that it is safer
to use tryCatch() to test for this.

Details: I have a function pn <- getReadablePathname(pn) that I use to
assess that a pathname (which also follows Windows Shortcuts) passed
to a function specifies a file that exists and that can be read.  If
not, it throws an exception.  I only need to update this function to
try to open the file for reading ("rb") and then try to read a raw
byte (for an even more trusted result).  If this fails, I conclude
that the file is not a readable pathname.  I also have an analogus
getWritablePathname().

/Henrik