[Rd] Error in R CMD INSTALL on Windows XP using Rtools28

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Dec 6 15:41:12 CET 2008

Dear Duncan, dear Gabor,

Thank you for this additional information and all these great tips.

Setting the system path in the following way solved my problem:
c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\perl\bin;c:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\Programme\Microsoft
SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\

Luckily this solves also the problem with potential conflicts between R
tools, Microsoft tools and ROOT, so that I do not have to rename any
tools (which I would be reluctant to do).

Since at the moment everything seems to work fine, and I am no Windows
expert (I do all my development on my Mac), I will keep the current
setting, however, the next time I have to set up everything, I will try
to take advantage of Rcmd.bat since Gabor mentions that it will not
override any of my settings.

Regarding the R installation documentation, I understand now that this
seems to be a problem of my complicated setup and not a general problem,
so adding this information may confuse other people.

Best regards
Christian