[Rd] Warning: missing text for item ... in \describe?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 6 16:36:01 CET 2008

1) Having run tests on CRAN and BioC overnight, the results are quite
depressing.  There are 112 packages on CRAN and a score on BioC with
incorrectly rendered help pages because of spaces after \item{foo}.  In
two cases (fields and MANOR) the text skipped is invalid, so it is not
simply a case of ignoring the whitespace.

2) On the original subject line, I found a different reason.  E.g. I get
the message on distrMod, which has (sqrt-methods.Rd, also
solve-methods.Rd)

\section{Methods}{\describe{
\item{sqrt}{\code{signature(x = "PosSemDefSymmMatrix")}: produces a
symmetric, p.s.d. matrix \eqn{y} such that  \eqn{x = y^2}}
}}

That is rendered incorrectly, and the issue is that \eqn is a one- or
two-argument macro and the trailing } confuses the Rdconv code.  That is
an Rdconv bug which is proving very tricky to fix.  In any case a fix will
only apply to future versions of R, so the packages affected (at least
distr, geepack, geoR, psychometric, robustbase, uroot) need to be altered.

Note that grammatical help files will almost always have punctation at the
end of an item (even a space will do), and all the examples appropriate
punctuation is missing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk