[Rd] package development

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Dec 12 00:04:54 CET 2008

  I'm making the move of the survival package from my own environment to,
and have stumbled into a vacuum.   The R Extensions manual has really nice
instructions about how to lay out the directories, order the files, and
run tests for DISTRIBUTION of a product, but I can't find anything on how
to set up a reasonable DEVELOPMENT environment.
   In my local world, I had the .c and .s files in a common directory, with
a Makefile that I had created, and the test suite in a subdirectory.  Debugging
and development was quite nice.
	make
	cd test
	attach("..")
		try something and perhaps it fails
	q()
	cd ..
Fix and repeat. The Makefile took some time to create, but paid for itself a
hundred times over.

  So, I've now rearranged everything into standard R order.  Then I did the
only thing I could find
	R CMD INSTALL ~/myRlib  survival
where "survival" is said directory.   This turns out to be not useful at all.
The survival package is large, and I rather suspected that I would goof
something up, and I did, resulting in the following message

	Error in parse(n = -1, file = file) : unexpected end of input at
        14450: }
        14451:

It is not exactly obvious which of the 132 files in my R/ directory is the
culprit here.

   In general:
1. The library is large, and recompiling/reparsing everything is very far from
instantaneous.  It is not the edit/load cycle I desire.

2. I take testing seriously: the test suite takes on the order of 15 minutes to
run on a fast machine.  I most certainly don't want to run it in the mid cycle.

   Someone must have tackled this.  I'm hoping that there is some documentation
that I have managed to overlook which discussess a good setup for this middle
ground between concieving of a library and packaging it for delivery; the
"build, test, make sure it acually works" part of development.

	Terry Therneau