[Rd] (PR#13318) Wishlist: fix error in documentation for

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 13 12:20:05 CET 2008

--27464147-1942928637-1229159653=:5347

There are two issues here, what it does and what it should do..

One issue is what is meant by 'expression': is it an expressions vector of
type "expression" or is it 'expression' as documented as an element of
such a vector in ?expression?  For body<- it is the latter.

Then there are a couple of odd exceptions.

1) If 'value' is of type expression, the first element is taken, silently.

2) If 'value' is a length-one list, its first element is taken.
If 'value' is a named list of length greater than one. the last element is
taken as the value and the remaining elements as additional arguments.

The first is by design, the second seems to be a bug (and in the case of
formals<- it definitely is a bug which I have just corrected).  The issue
is in

> base::`body<-`
function (fun, envir = environment(fun), value)
{
     if (is.expression(value))
         value <- value[[1]]
     as.function(c(formals(fun), value), envir)
}

formals(fun) is a normally a pairlist so c() is concatenating 'value' to a
list, and will do an implicit as.list().  However, in the case of no
arguments it fails (another bug I have just corrected).

I think we want this to be

     as.function(c(as.list(formals(fun)), list(value)), envir)

but that does change the behaviour for a length-one list 'value'.  It
seems a fair guess that no one is intentionally relying on the latter, but
you never know ....