[Rd] Misuse of $<matn expressions>$ in Rd files

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Dec 19 11:31:01 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> 'Writing R Extensions' tells you that $ needs to be escaped in Rd files
> outside \code and similar.  So I was surprised to find that ca 80 CRAN
> packages have constructions like (from ISwR)
>
>   \item{\code{folate}}{
>     a numeric vector, folate concentration ($\mu$g/l).
>   }
>
> This does not render sensibly in non-latex conversions, and it is what
> we have \eqn{} for.

I suspect last I looked at this was in copy editing that getting the
LaTeX to look right took priority.

It renders as "$\mu$g/l" (for now) which is semi-sensible to my eyes. I
can see that I have \eqn{\mu}g/l in other places, but that comes out as
"mug/l" which looks like an inverted measure for coffee cups. I probably
gave up deciding a good incantation for "microgram per liter" in text
mode. Possibly \eqn{\mu}{u} is the best on can do.