[Rd] ... (dotMethods) and cbind/rbind: how to give the signature?

Sklyar, Oleg (London) osklyar at maninvestments.com
Tue Dec 23 17:09:09 CET 2008

I find it easier to use S3 methods for cbind and rbind even for S4 classes. The reason is that first you won't have different classes in the signature for cbind/rbind and second is that ... signatures are only allowed if ALL arguments are of the same class, whereas setGeneric("cbind") will force you to specify deparse.level of a different class -- it does not work for me. If you however try to redefine the cbind generic (as it is not generic initially) without deparse.level you first face a compatibility problem and cbind for matrices stops working.

If anybody has a working S4 solution I would be grateful for a hint:

setClass("ClassA", representation("matrix", comment="character"))

a = new("ClassA", matrix(runif(10),ncol=2), comment="aa")
b = new("ClassA", matrix(runif(15),ncol=3), comment="bb")

cbind.ClassA = mycbind = function(...) {
	dots = list(...)
	if (length(dots)<2) return(dots[[1]])
	data = lapply(dots, function(x) x at .Data)
	data = if (length(data)>1) do.call("cbind",data) else data[[1]]
	comment = sapply(dots, function(x) x at comment)
	comment = paste(comment, collapse="; ")
	new("ClassA", data, comment=comment)
}

cbind(a,b)
cbind(a at .Data, b at .Data)

With respect to your second question on S4 methods -- it gives room for extendability and type checking, otherwise there is no good reason to define functions as methods if you will only have one single implementation of functionality with the same name.

Dr Oleg Sklyar
Research Technologist
AHL / Man Investments Ltd
+44 (0)20 7144 3107