[Rd] BATCH and testing

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 26 09:09:24 CET 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Terry Therneau wrote:

>  In a few of my test scripts for the survival code I expect warning messages
> (I actually try to trigger a couple).  Using R BATCH infile outfile these
> messages don't end up in outfile, where I can compare them to what was
> expected.  I don't see an option to change this.

I don't see this:

tystie% cat infile
2+3
warning("test of warning")
4+5

tystie% cat outfile

R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> 2+3
[1] 5
> warning("test of warning")
Warning message:
test of warning
> 4+5
[1] 9

> proc.time()
    user  system elapsed
   0.314   0.037   0.346

so the asked-for reproducible example, please.

>  R < infile >& outfile works.

In [t]csh, I presume.  BATCH uses 2>1%, the sh equivalent.

> But is there a way to get it to continue on after errors?

options(error=expression(NULL))

as given in the help for stop().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk