[Rd] Perils of R_LIBRARY_PATH

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 15:01:54 CET 2008

The R front end sets (via etc/ldpath) R_LIBRARY_PATH, including
R_JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Perhaps the later is too obliging, as I've just
be caught by it in a way that took me a while to track down.

One of my machines has a Sun jdk1.6.0* JDK installed, and as a result
we have

${R_JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/lib/amd64/server:${JAVA_HOME}/lib/amd64:
${JAVA_HOME}/../lib/amd64}

What I was not aware of was that the Sun JDK contains Gtk+ libraries such
as cairo and pango, and those were older than the ones whose headers I
had compiled against which eventually resulted in a crash.

It seems to be an issue only for a JDK: perhaps Simon can tweak his
incantations to use only the JRE library path (and avoid the
'../lib/amd64' above)?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk