[Rd] Best way to reset random seed when using set.seed() in a function?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed Feb 13 20:07:21 CET 2008

I think in general it is a good idea to use  on.exit()  to reset the
seed if you mess with it. Otherwise you can generate unintended
consequences for other programs. Something like:
    old.seed <- setRNG(kind = "default", seed = test.seed, normal.kind =
"default")
    on.exit(setRNG(old.seed))

(BTW, setRNG is a simple little utility in the setRNG package, to help
set and save some of the other things you need besides the seed, if you
are going to try to reproduce results.)

Paul

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is related to a question just raised on Bioconductor where one
> function sets the random seed internally but never resets it, which
> results in enforced down streams random samples being deterministic.
>
> What is the best way to reset the random seed when you use set.seed()
> within a function?  Is it still to re-assign '.Random.seed' in the
> global environment as following example illustrates?  I'm not too kind
> of having function modifying the global environment, if not really
> necessary.
>
> foo <- function(n) {
>   # Pop random seed
>   if (!exists(".Random.seed", mode="numeric"))
>     sample(NA);
>   oldSeed <- .Random.seed;
>
>   # Fixed seed to get reproducible samples here
>   set.seed(0xbeef);
>   x <- sample(5);
>
>   # Proof of concept: 'x' should be the same all the time
>   stopifnot(identical( x, as.integer(c(4,2,5,1,3)) ));
>
>   # Push random seed to old state
>   assign(".Random.seed", oldSeed, envir=globalenv())
>
>   # Continue as nothing happened
>   sample(n);
> }
>

>> foo(5)
>>
> [1] 4 2 3 5 1
>
>> foo(5)
>>
> [1] 4 2 3 1 5
>
>> foo(5)
>>
> [1] 5 3 1 4 2
>
>> foo(5)
>>
> [1] 5 3 2 4 1
>
>> foo(5)
>>

> Is this the way to do it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Henrik

La version française suit le texte anglais.