[Rd] Small encoding question

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Feb 14 21:09:21 CET 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Kurt Hornik wrote:

>> Dear developeRs,
>> Compilation of the latest version (0.9-5) of my actuar package fails
>> with r-release MacOS_X ix86 on CRAN; see
>
>> 	http://www.R-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/actuar-00check.html
>
>> All errors come from accented letters in comments in latin-1 encoded
>> files (except hierarc.R which is in UTF-8, my bad). Encoding is
>> declared as latin-1 in DESCRIPTION.
>
>> The package checks and compiles fine on Windows, Linux and,
>> ironically, my MacOS X main development machine. I realize using non-
>> ASCII characters in source files is not a good idea and I removed
>> them, but I would appreciate any clue as to what went wrong with the
>> compilation on CRAN.
>
> I assume that the MacOS X builds are done in a C locale?

Yes - but isn't this very similar to the problem we have been talking
about a while back? The check analyses were reporting an error
although the code was fine (I think it boiled down to text connection
I/O in the check scripts failing mysteriously due to the fact that it
was using the wrong encoding) I'll have to check later today ...

Cheers,