[Rd] Perils of R_LIBRARY_PATH

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 16 04:09:33 CET 2008

Hi,

Just for interest, may I ask which platform are you referring to?
You are on a commercial unix platform such as solaris, right?

Older JDK/JRE on unices uses motif as the the AWT peer implementation.
The motif toolkit libraries are always found on commercial unices, but
for the same reason, not found on linux (and Sun JDK for linux used to
link to motif statically, I think). Recent JDK/JRE uses a Gtk AWT peer
(also the case for gcj). I have Sun JDK 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and the newly
open-sourced 1.7 (this comes with fedora 8) on linux (as well as gcj),
but none of them have gtk libs bundled... but I can imagine Sun need to
ship gtk libs with jdk for older commercial unices - newer commercial
unices may or may not have the gtk libs. (some do, I believe).

Cheers,
Hin-Tak