[Rd] Bug using X11 on mac osx (for jpeg or png creation) (PR#10800)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 18:48:03 CET 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Benilton Carvalho wrote:

> It's not a bug and it is my understanding that it's documented.
>
> From the man page on jpeg:
>
>   They may not be usable unless the X11 display is available to the owner of
> the R process.
>
> and later:
>
>    'bitmap' provides an alternative way to generate PNG and JPEG
>    plots that does not depend on accessing the X11 display but does
>    depend on having GhostScript installed.  (Devices 'GDD' in CRAN
>    package 'GDD' and 'CairoJPEG' / 'CairoPNG' in CRAN package 'Cairo'
>    are alternatives using several other additional pieces of
>    software.)
>
> So, the idea is to replace your jpeg() call by bitmap() (with the appropriate
> "type" argument.

He may have a slightly different version: he seems to have access to X11
but no fonts available.  That is not an R bug: it may well be an Apple
bug (we've seen similar things on Ubuntu, and there are lots of known
issues with Apple's X11).

[BTW: it is better to report the exact French messages: we can look them
up in the translations database.  Or even better, start R with LANGUAGE=en
and report the English message.  I suspect this one is

     could not find any X11 fonts\nCheck that the Font Path is correct.

as that seems the closest match.  And if so the advice in that English
message is the key to solving this.]