[Rd] Tcl/Tk extensions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 00:21:14 CET 2008

This is a word of warning to those package authors who want to make use of
Tcl/Tk extensions.

First, please document them in the DESCRIPTION file, in the
SystemRequirements field.

Second, people have been recommending ActiveTcl.  The latest ActiveTcl
releases are much smaller, and it seems this is because the extensions
are not included so those recommendations will need to be changed.

I am contemplating adding a few extensions to the R 2.7.0 Windows
distribution -- certainly BWidget and Tktable seem fairly easy to do. The
only other Tcl/Tk extensions I have found are Iwidgets, which might not be
so easy (it requires itcl and itk) and Img (not easy).  (There are some
mentioned in packages which I have not found.)

There are a number of additional widgets in Tk 8.5 that might be easier to
make use of (R 2.7.0 for Windows will ship with Tcl/Tk 8.5.x).

Ideally someone who wants to make use of these extensions will volunteer
to distribute Windows versions of them -- I expect Duncan Murdoch would
be happy to include them in Rtools.exe if the licence conditions allow.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk