[Rd] New version of X11, png and jpeg

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 08:00:47 CET 2008

Michael,

> Would it be at all feasible to make the cairo backend available on
> all platforms and have it provide a public API through which an
> arbitrary cairo context could be passed as the drawing target?

Offering an API is something I have considered for the TODO for 2.8.0.
However, we are at the stage of finding out how widely this can be got to
work and how well it works.

Simon and I are working on MacOS X, and should have this working via a
static cairo build (without pango) shortly.  I don't think cairo on
Windows works well enough: e.g. your Cairo() device has more than half the
glyphs missing in the symbol font.

Brian