[Rd] Generic Functions

Dominik Locher dominik.locher at bondsearch.ch
Wed Feb 27 10:20:28 CET 2008

Thanks a lot for your explanation, which I higly appreciate. But I have
still a problem...

Think about 2 persons, each of them create their own package. Both define a
generic function "setType" with different arguments.

Person 1: setType(obj, valX)
Person 2: setType(spec)

If I require the package of person 1, everything works fine.

If I call the second package afterwards, I will get an error, because the
generic function already exists.

How can I solve this conflict? How can I define a new generic function which
has different arguments without getting in trouble with the first package?
Is there a way to define functions, which belongs to a specific class
without getting in troubles with other packages?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Dominik