[Rd] is(x, "parent") returns FALSE when class(x) is c("child", "parent") (PR#10549)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 5 22:26:42 CET 2008

    TimH> is() does not catch parent S3 classes:

> [...]
    TimH> [1] "bs"    "basis"
    TimH> [1] FALSE

    TimH> In contrast, is() does catch parent S4 classes:
    TimH> +                         dim = 3, dispstr = "un")
    TimH> [1] TRUE
    TimH> [1] "normalCopula"

    >> Yes, that's all correct, but where's the bug?
    >>
    >> S3 has *NO* class definitions, so how can there be class
    >> inheritance?

    TP> These types of statements make me really confused (and I suspect far
    TP> more than necessary).  Isn't 'inherits()' an S3 function?  (at least
    TP> it's not in package "methods", and it works with S3 classes, while 'is'
    TP> is in the "methods" package).

John already kindly answered, but yes, indeed, my statements
must have been somewhat confusing.

Prompted by Tim's ("child", "parent"),
I was talking about *class* inheritance (which does not exist
for S3) but with his question/remark/bug report about
     is(<obj>, <class>)
Tim was really concerned with *objects* inheriting from classes
and Tony's answer about  inherits() vs is() was well appropriate.

When I was talking about class inheritance,
I was talking about "parent child relationships" between
classes, where "the answer" is extends(), not is().

E.g.

  > library(Matrix)
  > extends("dgCMatrix", "CsparseMatrix")
  [1] TRUE
  > extends("CsparseMatrix", "sparseMatrix")
  [1] TRUE
  > extends("sparseMatrix", "Matrix")
  [1] TRUE

And last year, I've finished a small CRAN package,  called 'classGraph',
which nicely visualizes such  class inheritance by drawing
graphs (using the bioconductor packages 'Rgraphviz' and 'graph'):

library(Matrix)
library(classGraph)
cg2. <- class2Graph("dgCMatrix", fullNames=FALSE)
plot(cg2.)

then produces the attached plot which *is* all about class
inheritance, only present in S4, but, again, I apologize for
confusing you, since Tim really needed the "class instance" or
"object -> class" inheritance.

Martin