[Rd] is(x, "parent") returns FALSE when class(x) is c("child", "parent") (PR#10549)

Tim Hesterberg timh at insightful.com
Mon Jan 7 20:25:49 CET 2008

In S-PLUS, is() does catch parent S3 classes.  It does not
require a setOldClass definition to do so.  I would prefer that
R work the same way, to make porting code easier.

I use is() in S-PLUS for both S3 and S4 classes because it is faster
than inherits().  I use inherits() only for testing a vector of
classes, rather than a single class.

To suggest that S3 has no class inheritance seems odd.
We use inheritance of S3 classes all the time - "ordered" inheriting
from "factor", many classes inheriting from "data.frame", etc.
I see no problem in having inheritance without class definitions.