[Rd] Finding windows DLLs

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 8 07:40:39 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Duncan Temple Lang wrote:

>> While I don't disagree with the general need to provide an interface
>> to SetDllDirectory, etc., I think the discussion about 3rd party
>> libraries has slightly missed the more obvious solution.
>> Instead of using a DLL, such packages can link against a _static_
>> version of the 3rd party and so not get into this dynamic search and
>> load but guarantee that the symbols are resolved to what they were
>> intended at build time.
>
> Only if there is one.

I assume 'one' refers to DLLs.
Either way, of course you can link against static versions of all
libraries and not just one. It requires having static versions of each
library.

> This has been my practice when building Windows
> binary packages, but as in the recent example of ncdf, the developers of
> the third-party (netcdf) set up their make system only to implement some
> Windows tweaks when a DLL was built.  More commonly, the third-party has
> to be built under a different compiler (typically VC++), and the static
> library is not compatible with MinGW.  (iconv and Tcl/Tk are two
> examples where at least at one time MinGW builds didn't work correctly.)

> In the case of XML, we could revert to my practice before Uwe took over,
> as I did (after some struggle) build libxml2/zlib statically under older
> versions of MinGW and so would expect to be able to do so again.

Well this is the issue - whether we want to build our own versions of
a static version of a DLL.  It would be a lot better if Windows users
were aware of the work done to support them and realized that it reduced
the resources available for more creative work.