[Rd] %s in filename when opening device causes crash (PR#10571)

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Tue Jan 15 10:45:09 CET 2008

> > Using %s in a filename when opening a device causes R to crash, e.g.,
> >
> > pdf("foo%s.pdf")
> > win.metafile("foo%s.wmf")
> > postscript("foo%s.ps")
>
> Do you have a workaround for this?  Since that is done at C level, we
> can't easily trap this (especially on Windows), and the list of possible

> errors that might cause a crash is rather long.
>
> It has been considered as a vulnerability, but there seems no simple
> solution.

The simplest workaround is probably to check that '%s' isn't included in
the character string for the file argument to each of the R wrapper
functions, something like

if(length(grep("%s", file))) stop("using '%s' in a filename is invalid")

This of course means that we couldn't use '%s' in a file string (is this a
great loss?), and that users could still cause a crash by calling the
.External code directly.

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit