[Rd] Pb with defineVar() example in the "Writing R Extensions" manual

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jan 16 19:27:24 CET 2008

Luke Tierney wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>
>> Herve Pages wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>>> Sounds like you are right. You don't really have the "smoking gun", but
>>> it doesn't seem to be worth trying to catch the actual bug in action
>>> with hardware watchpoints and whatnot.
>>>
>>> The opposite fix should work too (does it?):
>>>
>>> { SEXP sym = install(somekey) ; defineVar(sym, mkans(x), rho);}
>>>

>> So now you are protected against install(somekey) eventually triggering
>> garbage collection but you are still not protected against
>> defineVar() itself
>> triggering garbage collection. Maybe defineVar() does not do that,
>> and will
>> never do it, but isn't it risky to rely on this kind of assumption?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> H.
>>
> That's not the problem you raised (argument evaluation order), but
> there's a CONS inside defineVar, and as far as I can see, it doesn't
> protect its arguments, so you could well be right.

> CONS itself protects its arguments though.
>
> luke

Ah, right! (and one of them is "value"). That explains why we haven't
seen crashes left right and center from this....

How about the hashed environment case? R_Newhashpjw and R_HashSet
wouldn't need allocation, and R_HashResize is after the assignment, so I
suppose it is OK.

We should make this sort ot convention more explicit somehow.