[Rd] PR#10583

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 13:05:45 CET 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, michael.hoehle at gmail.com wrote:

> Thank you for your quick reply and for only indirectly scolding me for
> abusing the RBugs list. :-) However, I do think there is something
> funny in the 2.7.0 docu (or in the code). Things behave as expected and
> explained by you for version 2.6.0/2.6.1, but in the development
> version 2.7.0 (which I was using) the output is different (see below).

And so is the help page (Extract.Rd): I don't see anything here not
working as documented in the version concerned.

> The CHANGES file does mention some changes about the [[ subsetting
> operator, partial matching and exact=TRUE, so I still think the
> documentation could be
> clearer at this point by mentioning abbreviations.

Do you mean the NEWS file?  (There is a CHANGES file, for Windows-specific
changes.)

2.7.0 is not released (and will not be for ca 3 months), and its
documentation is far from finalized.  We have asked that comments on
unreleased versions be sent to the R-devel list and not R-bugs.

Whether an introductory document should mention what happens if you
abbreviate names is moot: adding information in general makes introductory
documents less clear, and mentioning something not considered to be good
practice is also questionable at that level.  (We discourage partial
matching for $, provide an option to warn about it and have tried to
eliminate it in code and examples in base R.)