[Rd] Wishlist- Windows Gui (PR#10589)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 19 01:00:33 CET 2008

John Fox wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> Actually, "Edit -> Gui preferences" will already edit/generate an Rprofile
> file, so mirror selection could be put there. I frankly find it simpler on a
> single-user Windows system just to edit Rprofile.site.

That edits Rconsole, not Rprofile.  Rconsole has a very limited number
of entries (a finite list), so that's reasonable.  Rprofile is intended
to be human editable and is basically unlimited in what it can do;
computer edits to human editable files are not usually pretty.

The "right" place to store information like this in Windows is in the
registry, but we've been reluctant to use it, for various historical
reasons.  In fact, we were just told today that editing the registry is
not allowed by software used by the US government.  I think they'll be
moving back to the abacus, if they want to stay with Windows.

Duncan Murdoch