[Rd] Distributing R Programs

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 22:50:54 CET 2008

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> CapCity wrote:
>> We recently developed an R program as part of an application. We'd like to
>> distribute this, but not allow access to the R source code. Is this
>> possible?
>>

> Not in any obvious way, and I don't think anyone around here would
> volunteer to help you find out.

:-). I don't like the idea of hiding source code - I am not an
open-source fanatic, but a broken piece of software can be fixed by a
3rd party, otherwise you are at the mercy of the time/financial
constraints of the author...

That said, since the original poster said 'as a part of an application',
it is probably possible to just uuencode/flatencode/ucs-16 some R-code,
stuff it down as a long char array, and pass the decrypted version one
line at a time to R_eval() in a C wrapper, just to get around the usual
R ways of getting at the R-based source code.