[Rd] Problem building R with Intel MKL v10 BLAS

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 21:11:07 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> Run 'make check' ... it includes some tests specifically for working
>>> BLAS.
>> <snipped>
>>
>> That reminds me of a discussion I had with our IT guy regarding
>> building R 2.5.0 against MKL 8. He had MKL 8.0 against 2.4.x
>> previously and it is
>> actually faster than 9.x ; but he was having trouble upgrading to R
>> 2.5.0 (with MKL 8).
>>
>> It turns out that R 2.5.0 added a couple of checks for some
>> double-complex BLAS/LAPACK routines (I can't remember which), which
>> are missing in MKL8, so it is a fact that R 2.5.0 won't build against
>> MKL 8 - but will build against MKL 9, and once you have built 2.5.0
>> against MKL9, you can swap the libraries (somewhat dangerously) to get
>> the speed
>> of MKL8 back...
>>
>> It is not unthinkable that some more checks are added in 2.6.x and
>> MKL 10 is not passing them... one needs the result of config.log to be
>> sure.
>
> Looking at the svn logs, the last change to the BLAS configure tests was
> in Nov 2005.

That would be in the R 2.2 <-> R 2.3 time frame (maybe our IT guys was
having problem jumping from 2.2 to 2.5)... Anyway, I am quite sure about
the R 2.5 + MKL 8 failure as I had looked at the config.log myself then.
To see what's wrong with the original poster's set up one needs to look
at the config.log .